Sunday, September 9, 2012

The traffic jungle


These are our first’s steps in the chaotic Indian’s traffic.
I try to explain to myself the rules “ordering” it before it appears to me as common.
First, you have to know that Indian roads are not as wisely ordered into two quiet roads as our French ones. I think they are quite following the Tetris game rules; thereby the aim is to put a maximum of cars on the streets’ widthwise, being inserted in each available place.
For example, 1m free space between two buses would make a perfect place for a rickshaw (typical Indian taxis).
Then, there is the noise, the horn ones. They are so used that we don’t really know anymore where they come from… But I think there might be a sense: 1 toot = I’m here! , 1 long and insistent toot = I’m comiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing! Get out of my way!
Concerning the rickshaw drivers, they seems to have an in-sensor which enables them to know if someone comes from their right or left hand without needing to turn their head or looking in the rearview mirror. Anyway, I’m totally impressed by their skill.
But the most essential and vital to survive in that jungle is probably the perfect braking control. The supreme base of the Indian’s traffic. 


No comments:

Post a Comment