Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Early Morning Sunday Market


Last sunday I found myself walking among a huge crowded informal market ; so full of goods of all kind and so full of people that I was sometimes even more concentrated on putting my feet in an empty zone rather than on the place itself. Luckily I had my numeric third eye with me - aka my photo camera. So I shot the market every 20 seconds to be sure I would not miss anything.
An infinity of little shops blossomed as I walked through the place. Mountains of fabric, piles of books, cutlery, collections of collections, old cameras, gramophones... If the heat was not so unbearable I could have spent the whole day exploring all the stocks. Actually a lot more than a day would be necessary.
Admiring handicraft products, I started to see in them not just cute little wooden boxes or cautious metal work, but the same gestures repeated over and over again by craftsmen for ages. I saw the tremendous traditional knowledge and figured that such a patrimony has been influencing and shaping India way before occidentals put their feet on this land.
As a designer in the making that is something I want to work with, preserving this heritage, adapting the new environment and lifestyles to the past ones, as a tribute to these ancient gestures. Or I would die with them in a museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment