Thursday, October 4, 2012

KR Market by night

It has been hard for me to fall asleep today. And I had to wake up very early because I had planned to go to KR Market as suggested by Kshitiz, to experience what people overthere do as Non Intentional Design. At 3:30AM I gave up, and decided to shortcut my alarm clock. I rode my bike for about 45 minutes, almost alone in the streets. I have therefore noticed quite a few people already working, preparing food of cleaning stuffs. A city like Bangalore never sleeps, that is for sure. Lucky me I haven’t got lost, although I thought I was. I went down a narrow street little by little and suddenly there were more and more people. Hey, I’m arrived! I was hoping to arrive before the beginning of the sales, to make some photographs of the empty place, why not sit down somewhere, listen to music and just look at people living their lives. For what I have seen, it probably begins around 4:00AM, which means that people come at 3:30, which means they have a crazy life cycle to wake up everyday at this hour.

I have been truly surprised at first sight, to discover how wonderful flowers can cohabit in such a dirty place. Outside the market there is absolutely no clean place. Every square meter is covered by a thin layer of undefined mixture. Unsold are left on the side, and there are women who regularly sweep flowers on the ground. The inside market is much cleaner than the outside, which makes me think it is for wealthy merchants or something like that.

Another surprising thing. I had the impression that there were so many sellers, for only a few buyers. In fact, sellers are everywhere. Inside the market itself, within conventional stores ; but also outside the market and in the streets around. In that case they often summarily display their merchandise on the ground, using a mere and almost clean piece of fabric to protect the flowers. Last kind of sellers, the moving ones. They only have a few flowers in their hands and try to catch clients directly on their way. Among that huge amount of people, I wonder how much buyers there were. My opinion about this is that I came too early to see “normal” people coming to buy flowers, while this hour was the professionals hour.


I will try to come back again later, at another hour. Maybe earlier, to see the really beginning. And also experience other things, like interacting with sellers and buyers.

A view of the inner KR Market





No comments:

Post a Comment